Friday, October 23, 2009

John Jakes Meeting

Hi Everyone

Two weeks ago I was the featured speaker at the Sarasota Rotary lunch. I was joined at my table by John Jakes. Yep, the same Jakes who wrote "North and South" and ten or twelve other novels of the Civil War era.


A very pleasant fellow, he told me that after 61 years of writing, he is still doing it. Wow! I have always enjoyed his work. In fact, I have so admired his approach to historical fiction that I have tried to follow his style in my writing. When I have sold the millions of Civil War era books he has, I'll know I succeeded.

Put yourself in my position. At this gathering of Rotarians I am expected to give a presentation dealing with the causes of the Civil War. I am no stranger to public speaking. But in front of John Jakes. I must confess to being a tad nervous. I had chosen to present the arguement that regional economic conflict was a major cause of secession. I half expected John to bellow out something like "This guy is full of nonesense" or something. Nothing of the sort. Mr. Jakes was a gentleman. He allowed me my turn at bat without interruption or contradiction. Thank you John.

No comments:

Post a Comment